Has anyone told you that a career person cannot become rich ?
Many motivation speakers and self-made experts are guilty of this. They are the ones that made us believe that the only way to become rich is to own your own business and not as an employee.
Unfortunately, it is not ALWAYS so, especially if you have the type of job that command a high salary.
I mean a high-paying job like the one referred to in this tweet.
Is it possible to get high paying jobs
I know that getting a high paying job is not a walk in the park.
For example, my first job was a ripoff and the company culture was toxic. The company policy was that my salary for the first month would be withheld and paid as 13th month salary and I was offered an unsolicited loan of N20,000 to be paid off in installments of N5,000 per month. You can guess what happened next?
But a lot has happened since I left that job.
My salary compensation has gone up each time and I have enjoyed career growth.
Here is a graph of my salary growth (some data has changed for personal confidentiality 🙂
Why am I telling you all this ?
I want to share with you some of the things that helped me to build my career.
Also, I asked a few people in my networks (people working at Google, Facebook, Nokia etc) how anyone can accelerate their career. They agreed to share some of their best kept secrets with me on the condition that they remain anonymous.
While I cant reveal their identity, I am happy I can share what has worked for them with you.
Here they are:
Top 5 things to plot a high-paying career for yourself.
Tip 1: Realize the job market is changing & you will need new skill sets to fit in.
The workplace of the future is going to be different.
And to fit in to it, you will need a completely different skill set.
For example, according to World Economic Forum, emerging roles like data analyst will be the job of the future while professional jobs like doctor, accountants will be reducing.
To be ready for this job reality, start assessing your current skill and decide on the steps you’ll take to obtain the news skills that the job of the future will demand.
One of the tactical steps you can take is to go to LinkedIn and research people who hold the job description you want to grow into.
I do this a lot.
- On LinkedIn, I might search for a job position. Like “digital business strategy”.
- I will use the filter to configure the results so I can get relevant profiles.
- Then, I view the profiles to check for academic records and previous roles the person held before “arriving” at their current position.
- Then, I use this knowledge to map my own career development plan.
Tip 2: Choose the education that you need.
How do your pick the right education for the job of the future?
For most people reading this, your degree will do little to prepare you. If that applies to you and you want to turn your career around, here is a classic example of how taking professional exams can leapfrog your career.
Sometimes, you don’t need certificates, you just need new skills.
To learn this new skill don’t overwhelm yourself by reading multiple resources or random blogs.
It involves picking a book on the subject, reading it through and putting your knowledge to practice.
Tip 3: Networking…… be part of community.
Most jobs are not advertised.
It goes first to “insiders” who have people in the system.
That is why you need to build powerful networks for your career. Because it is not about what you know, but who you know.
How can you build your network ?
- One of the best places to build relationships is by attending tech events.
- You can also use social platforms like LinkedIn to build the relationships with the right networks.
- Here are more useful tips on building your network for career growth.
Tip 4: Negotiate your way to high salary (Advance tip)
One of the most important skills that will improve your chances to earn better is your negotiations skills.
If you are looking for a new job, you should negotiate to get improved offer.
Here is an actual 12-point script to negotiate your offer.
Of course, you can negotiate for increased salary on your current job. Whereas, most people will accept whatever their employers considered as a fair wage increase, it is possible to get additional salary and other work benefits simply by asking.
Tip 5: Maximize the power of leverage (Advance tip)
To get a high paying job, you need leverage.
This includes everything that puts you at advantage and makes you a more desirable candidate to potential employer.
For example, if you are looking for job, one of such leverages is to create more options for yourself by going after multiple job opportunities at once. This gives you confidence to negotiate the offers on the table.
Here are other advanced tips on building powerful leverage to maximize your career growth journey.
- Learn Design Skills (anything that challenges your creativity and makes you design is golden).
- Improve your communication Skills (the ability to work with people and get/direct people’s attention is golden)
- Have independent learning (ability to search the web, read new materials and learn by yourself is a must!).
- Get a mentor. Have a selection of mentors in the areas of your career interest and in general life.
In my previous posts, I have shared a few helpful tips too.
It is worth repeating them here. But due to space, let me share the link to the actual articles with you.
- How to get tech jobs that pay well
- Tips to get remote jobs from abroad while in Nigeria (Experts interview)
- 5 more tips to get high paying remote jobs from abroad while in Nigeria (actionable tips)
It is your turn now.
What are you going to do to get the high-paying job of your dream ?
I will love to hear from you.